Saturday, October 25, 2008

Faye's Fairy Fondant


For Faye's 6th birthday she wanted a Silvermist fairy cake. (She's one of the fairies in the Tinkerbell books and the movie that is coming out in a couple of days). I decided I wanted to make her one this year, because store bought ones are just so boring, and I have liked making fun birthday cakes in the past. Well I got WAY ahead of myself and thought it would be fun to try fondant. My niece, Nichole made a cake covered in fondant for her little girl back in April and is was so darling.(here's a link to that cake http://houseofhind.blogspot.com/2008/04/big-one.html )I also really love those cool topsy turvey cakes (I call them Madd Hatter cakes...) and started looking up fondant cakes on the web. WOW! I was so inspired and just knew this was going to be something i would like. I even signed up for class learning how to decorate with fondant at Michaels. So I kind of jumped the gun... because this cake too FOREVER. Not even kidding, it was ridiculous. First off, I thought you had to do a homemade cake, so I went with a pound cake and thought "Oh, I'll bake the cake tonight (friday) and then just decorate tomorrow." Well, pound cakes take a long long time to bake... did I mention I was doing a layered cake! So I was up until 12:30 baking and letting cakes cool. I called Nichole a couple of times asking her a million questions and just so she knows - you CAN just use a cake mix! My mom used to decorate wedding cakes and I found out (from my sister Nellie, AFTER I had already started with the homemade fiasco) that through all the years of cake decorating my mom always used cake mixes. The cake turned out weird, it tastes more brownie-ish and the consistancy is thick like them also. I figured it was too late and I was going to just try and salvage it. The shape of the cakes didn't come out very good either, but I thought maybe the fondant would help hide it. I covered it with fondant and still was not very pleased. It turned out to be a Mad Hatter cake and I wasn't intending on it. (I just took pictures from a good angle so you can't tell as much). Once I got it all decorated it turned out okay. I'm sure Faye will love it when she sees it in the morning, as it is now mid-night again and I just spend another 2 hours tonight decorating after she went to bed. (I also spent about 3 hours this afternoon making the marshmellow fondant, and then covering the cake) Did I mention, this cake took FOREVER!?!

Don't you just love her little finger to the lip innocent look... kinda sexy for a kids toy?

I did really enjoy the decorating part, but this was definitely a learn-as-I-went-project. Making the flowers was pretty fun and I'm looking forward to learning from a pro instead of just making up my own techniques.

13 comments:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

Oh my gosh..........that is a beautiful cake....well done!!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Dang girl! That cake is awesome!! I'm calling you in December to halp me make one for Taylor.
Who knew you would grow up into such a domestic goddess?
I'll bet Faye died when she saw it.

Erin Jepsen said...

That is amazing, way to go!!

Susan Catmull said...

Wow. looks great. I've tried just regular cake decorating and I suck at it so I just get them done at a store- way less mental stress and they look a lot better.

The Bronson Bunch said...

I must say that the cake looks great! You don't give yourself enough credit! I am sure Faye was ecstatic!!

Laurel, Brian, Addison & Liam said...

When I first saw this post, I thought-Didn't Linda make cakes? I was right, and it looks like you've followed in her footsteps. Whorey Cow, Sarah, that cake is awesome! Did she completely LOVE IT? I'll bet! I LOVE it!

Foskey said...

That is fabulous! Way to go! Didi it taste as good as it looked?

Natalie said...

Great cake skillz. No wonder it took you so long. It looks pretty complicated. You just shot yourself in the foot though. Now your girls are going to expect bigger and better with every birthday. That's why I keep my kids expectations really really low. Like some water-stained crepe paper, and a crooked cake with "birfday" spelled wrong.

Took said...

seriously, you are being way too humble, that cake is beautiful!

Erin said...

wow I think it looks great!

Ranae and Matt said...

WOW that is an awesome cake. Way to go

Natalie said...

Hi Sarah. I'm coming to Utah in a few weeks and I want to get together with my sisters and some old friends. Could you let Nellie and April know? You're invited too, you know. We're going out on Friday, Nov 14th. It's going to be a child-less activity. Don't worry, no alcohol or drugs or stripping involved (I'd better warn Ginger). Let me know. Thanks!

Nichole said...

Oh my gosh that is SOOO cute!! The cake I made is NOTHING compared to that!!! Next time I need to make a cake I will be emailing and calling you ;) You are really good with frosting too! I LOVE IT!