Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Holy Toledo!

Isn't that where Clinger is from? He made one ug-a-lee woman.



We made it to Jacob! Jacob, I tell you! We started reading the Book of Mormon as a family in January, not as a resolution, just happened to be the time I said we needed to "just do it". We've only attempted it once before and I think we only lasted a couple of weeks. Kids are great motivators. Especially when they don't want to go to bed and reading scriptures keeps them up just a wee bit longer. We've actually passed up where I was in my own scripture reading. Which is really pathetic/embarrassing considering it's been, uhm, let's just say "a while" since I started. Personal reading is not my strong suit. Sadly, I was a seminary drop-out in my junior year. I just didn't care about it and I told my mom she could either let me take something else or i'd just end up sluffing it all the time. What a brat huh? I kills me to think about the knowledge I missed out on those last 2 years, but I was a very different person and it might not have made a difference. I know so much about D&C because I loved my teacher, Bro. Barthalamew (I know that's not how it's spelled, but I enjoy it. Makes him sound like a kitty), and I wasn't quite the "cool kid" yet, so I went and partook of the knowledge he and the scriptures offered. My sophmore year was the BOM and I got a little outta that year, but that's when I starting my sluffing gig. I was really good at it.

A lady I worked with at Kohls told us how it took her family 4 years to finish the Book Of Mormon. She said she knew it sounded pretty pathetic, but she and her husband decided not to keep starting over and over and just keep going. She has 4 small kids and so I know how hard it can be to get to actually listen. I was actually a little inspired and thought we would do the same. Though hopefully it won't take us 4 years! Our kids probably don't get much out of it, but I know we need to just keep trucking. Half the time we're getting mad at them and then we always laugh later that's it's like "SHUT UP SO WE CAN READ SCRIPTURES!" We don't really say that, but some nights, man they are pains. But, we are already to Jacob! I'm really quite proud of that.

Before I forget I needed to share this story with those of you who do not know my sister April or read her blog. This story is about my looney granny, Twila Rockwell, and her dearly beloved cat, Sebastian. As told by April, whom I just copy and pasted right from her blog. Enjoy:
My parents took Chloe and Ella with them to Nephi to visit Grandma Rockwell and her cats. She starts telling this story about her cat "sebastian" that died. Well her grandson wasn't coming up til the weekend and she had no where to put this dead cat. So she put it in a sack and put it in the freezer until he could come bury it. My mom said you should have seen Chloe and Ella's faces.....big eyes, open mouths. Then she made a nice little casket for the cat with a satin lining and a red bow so when my cousin came to bury it she pulled it out of the freezer and one of its legs was sticking straight up in the air so they had to break its leg to get it in the casket. My mom laughs once again as she recalls the girls faces as the story goes from bad to worse.
The girls are semi-traumatized yet entertained at the same time. The kicker is that my mom said they didn't have anything to eat while they were there just ice cream sandwiches, which i quickly reminded her probably came from the freezer that the cat was in, you should have seen my moms face when I said that. I told Ella to come home with some good stories from grandmas and she didn't disappoint.

6 comments:

Hendricksonblog said...

It is so hard to keep up with family scripture reading. We do well for a week and slack for 3 and then do well again. I suck at scriptures. Can I say that? Is that even a real sentence?
I cant get enough of that story of grandma.....I hope my grandkids know it and tell it to their grandkids and it can live on forever in Bray history

Natalie said...

I'm happy to have read that story once again. It's the best!

Good job on the scriptures. Yeah, it's like they don't listen and sometimes it's only 3 verses and yelling is involved, but never underestimate the power in obedience. Right?

I'm glad you didn't let that old "seminary drop-out" Sarah define the rest of your life. Just goes to show, you never know how the slacker in the back of the class will end up.

Cascade said...

We finally finished the book of mormon as a family. The sad part is we started it when we lived in Magna about 3 1/2 yrs ago, and we read every night, every one only reads one verse a night and that is about all the kids can stand, but it has been great with helping the kids to learn to read.

Anonymous said...

Good job on the scripture reading. We joined the "CRC" = Consecutive Readers Club. We add a number every day we read. When we get to Day 30, 60, 100, etc. we plan fun things to do as a family. Day 365 is Disneyland! If we miss a day, we have to start over at zero! This motivates my kids to keep us going because no one wants to start over! One word of advice, keep a BOM in the car - it helps get scripture reading in on those CRAAAAZZY days!

The Bronson Bunch said...

Sarah, we are on year two of reading scriptures with the kids and we just barely made it to 3 Nephi! It will feel like a feat when we are done and yes I think we will do something to celebrate. What we will do I don't know but keep trucking along. Austin and Karlee love it but there are days that it is a fight during the scripture reading and we don't feel the spirit.....at least we are trying right!?!

DJ and Gin Family said...

Oh the good ol' days of sluffing. I will say that I never sluffed seminary though... does tht make me a nerd? Oh well!
Did you ever read that story in the Friend about a general authority who's little boy learned how to read from scripture study? He would sit on his dad's lap, facing his Dad, with th B of M between them. His dad would follow the words with his finger. One day the boy said that he wanted a turn, so his dad handed him the book. The boy turned it upside down and started reading perfectly. Funny! So, the point to my rambling is keep up the good work!