Monday, January 10, 2011

An Elvish Christmas Eve




Christmas Eve is spent with Sean's parents and family, which also includes Nellie and Eric, so it pretty much always feels like my familia. Granny Pat did an Elf workshop where we made up fruit and treat baskets in the kitchen, toy making in the basement, and caroling to Great Grandma Lingwall, Aunt Marylou and Uncle John. The baskets, toys and some other items needed went to the local womens shelter. Jon and Pat took them on Christmas day. My kids thought it was fun and I think it was great for them to learn the real meaning of Christmas. Though a real high point came when one of the kids, I think it was Chloe, asked who the baskets were for and Pat said "a women's shelter where moms and kids are". Then looking puzzled Chloe said "where are the dads?" Pat looked around and then said "well, they were mean dads so the moms left with the kids". What a way to bring us all down!



Since the kids were "elves" they also got paid for their work. The money they earned was used in a present auction. The gifts were done by age/gender and the kids had to bid on them. Phoebe got the bidding down quick. No, really. She kept saying "5 dollars!", "20 dollars"

Lastly Jon reads the Christmas story from the bible and the kids each get a piece of the nativity to add to the manger scene at the appropriate time. Phoebe of course chose the donkey horse.

The night ends for us with the opening of Christmas jammies. And some Hello kitty slippers. They were cute, i had to. It was also followed by Daphne getting up 50 times. Then getting gum in her hair. Me getting it out with Thoro for 20 mins, and then her getting in trouble yet another 2 times! and finally off to sleep so santa could come. Luckily santa didn't have to assemble anything this year and he and his wife took a few turns with the Kinect.

5 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

I might also add that is NOT sean's hair. Holy smokes. It's a shadow... otherwise this post should have been AN ELVIS CHRISTMAS EVE!

Hendricksonblog said...

We have seen his hair worse so I didn't even notice. That is funny. I think that was a cute idea for Pat to do and the story about the mean Dads is funny but probably not to the mean dads wives and kids.....just funny how it was said.

DJ and Gin Family said...

That's funny because I totally thought that his picture looked like it came from the 50's. What a cute Christmas idea! (the Elvis Christmas, I mean) Okay, the elf theme is good too :)

Katie & James Shannon said...

I had to double take on his hair and then wondered if it was a shadow. Look at you blogging when you said you had no motivation. Looks like you found it, I on the other hand have not!

Natalie said...

That's hilarious with Chloe's downer comment! Great idea for Christmas with tons of grandkids running around.

I think we're the only family on the planet that doesn't open "Christmas Eve" pajamas. Really, I think we are.