Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Fluff and Stuff

This new job and pay deal is working out to be a real headache. Sean only get's paid once a month and we have to buy our own insurance now, so it's just all new, and sometimes confusing, which i'm not a big fan of. I like to know how much money I have to do what with and put where I need and want it. How's that for a sentence? On the other hand... it's more money and I will never complain about that!

I've being eating cherries like it's going outta style and oddly enough it's having the opposite effect of what it's supposed to be. What's up with that?

What's happened to me? I'm such a relief society lady (minus the saggy, baggy arms.... so far). We watched Invictus last night and I got all teary-eyed a ton.... ok, ok, I cried a little too. Movies about things like that always get me. Then this morning as I was eating my healthy oatmeal with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and some fresh blueberries and raspberries (summer is so good to me) I was reading the much-neglected Ensign. And... I cried again... seriously! what is wrong with me?! I cry so flippin easy now, it's a joke. (and no, it's not THAT)

Sadly, I have June, July and now August's Ensign issues just sitting on my couch table collecting dust. So this morning I thought i'd start reading it every morning while eating breakfast. Much to my chagrin (all right, that's a bit strong, but it sorta fits) most of this months issue is about going to the temple. Though we haven't gone for the past 2 months, which I could say summer has been busy and crazy, which is has, but really that's no excuse, I did just set up a date yesterday to go this month. Fancy that. It's really quite amazing how much perspective going and doing the work for others and having that quiet time to yourself can give to you. I think I've really missed that the last few months. I'm so incredibly grateful for all the blessings that have come our way these past months and I don't want to be one of those people who suddenly forgets when things start going well.

Year-round school is sort of annoying. Faye and Daphne have already started school. I decided to enroll my girls in the school just by our neighborhood and not do the charter school because: #1. Daphne is starting kindergarten and I don't want to drive that far 3 times a day #2. There has been mondo construction on Antelope drive and our old 10 minute commute is now 20 minutes.... 3 times a day! and lastly #3. as much as I did like the charter school, honestly, I don't see that much of a difference. And, it is nice for her to see everyone from church and the neighborhood. I never did it because I thought I was better or anything like that, I'm just not a huge fan of year round and Faye kept getting terrible teachers. But do you know what I've learned? I think terrible teachers can actually be good for kids. It can teach them (and parents) not everyone is perfect and while some may be good at somet things, they lack in others. Faye's kindergarten teacher was a super nice lady, and I liked her, but she really, really lacked enthusiasm. Which is odd for a kindergarten teacher. At least, I think so. And she never gave me much feedback, just that Faye was doing "good". But do you know what? Faye's just fine. She learned to read. She learned math. I think we need to give a lot of teachers a break and just roll with how they teach and try and make up for what we might think they are lacking in at home. We are, after all, supposed to be our childrens most important teachers... heaven help my girls!



I have to say i'm super embarrased by that HUGE weed. I really am, i almost thought about not putting this picture up. BUT may i say this bad boy grew this big in exactly 8 days. The 8 days we were at Pineview, and the girls started school 2 days after we got home. I know, i'm ridiculous.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Yeah, my kids are screwed when it comes to mother teachings. Bad teachers also teach kids how to flip people off behind their backs. Bad mommy's can teach that too.

Amen on the blessings and the temple. And I read the Ensign yesterday and cried like I was choppin' onions. It was a good one. You're not the only boob.

DJ and Gin Family said...

Awww, Sarah's all grown up.
Amen to what you and Nat both said. I swear the Ensign is written for me every month. I guess that just means that we are pretty much all in the same boat.
I wouldn't have even noticed the weed, had you not pointed it out. I was just noticing those cute kiddos.

Hendricksonblog said...

I thought you were referring to Faye until I saw the real weed. I avoid anything spiritual for that very reason, and we are out of tissues